The Los Feliz Improvement Association was
formed in 1922 to represent the homeowners of the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles. The
association worked to protect historic trees and homes, and to prevent developments they
felt would harm the upscale residential feel of the neighborhood. Much of the collection
deals with fights against zoning changes that would have allowed construction of
unsightly walls or that would have allowed commercial development.
Founded in 1916, the Vermont Canyon Improvement Club was later reorganized and changed
its name to the Los Feliz Improvement Association on July 7, 1922. The organization
played a significant role in the development of the neighborhood, located just east of
Hollywood, for nearly a century. A central area in the neighborhood continues to be
Griffith Park, willed to the city of Los Angeles by Col. Griffith J. Griffith in 1919
with specific instructions to maintain the area as a public space. Griffith Park’s
approximately 4,000 acres includes: the Greek Theater, the Los Angeles Zoo, the Griffith
Observatory, and the William Mulholland Memorial Fountain, all of which were founded in
the 1930s. In 1988 the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage was added. The Los Feliz
Improvement Association played an important role in determining the locations of all the
attractions in Griffith Park. In addition, any future maintenance of the Park and its
surrounding neighborhood would be the organization’s responsibility.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.