Photographs of Augsburg from 1890-1905, 1890-1905

Collection context

Summary

Abstract:
Portfolio of ten mounted photographs by an unidentified photographer of streets, neighborhoods, churches and civic buildings of old Augsburg, probably dating from around 1900.
Extent:
0.4 Linear Feet (10 photographic prints) : albumen, 34 x 26 cm (portfolio) Each photograph is mounted individually on recto of large leaves of beige paper in recessed niche; captions in German pencilled in below each photo. Unbound leaves are laid in phase box-style portfolio of manila cardstock; cropped version (9.8 x 7.3 cm) of the photograph of the Fuggerei included in the portfolio affixed to upper cover; ms. cover title "Alt-Augsburg" below in brown ink.Spec. Coll. copy: in beige cloth clamshell box; gray box label, with title "Alt-Augsberg." and 1 portfolio (10 photographic prints) : albumen, 34 x 26 cm (portfolio)
Language:
English .
Preferred citation:

[Identification of item], Photographs of Augsburg from 1890-1905 (Collection 94/312). UCLA Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

Background

Scope and content:

Portfolio includes views of awninged shops along Jakoberstrasse, with onion dome tower of St. Ulrich visible in the distance; narrow leafy Ko?tzergasse, and Perlachberg, a street near the courthouse, in which can be seen the Perlachturm, an 11th-century watchtower remodelled in the early 17th-century to include bell chamber, lantern, and gold-plated weather vane, and the 12th-century church St Peter am Perlach. One photo documents the early corbie gabled houses of the Fuggerei, the oldest social settlement in the world, founded in 1516 by Jacob Fugger to provide housing for Augsburg's poor and pensioners, and still in operation today. There are also photos of other important architectural and historical landmarks of Augsburg, including the Rotes Tor (Red Gate), the main entrance to the city on the south; the 15th-century Vogeltor (Bird Gate) along the eastern wall of the city; the seven-storied Rathaus or Town Hall built by Elias Holl in 1615-1624, adjacent to the Franciscan convent, Kloster Maria Stern, built by Johannes Holl (Elias' father) in 1574-1576, with one of the earliest examples of the Welsche Haube, or onion dome; the Fronhof palace, former residence of the prince bishops of Augsburg, and its tower, the only remaining part of the original building; and the basilica of St. Ulrich und Afra, founded in the 11th century as a Benedictine monastery, whose Renaissance tower is topped by a famous onion dome visible throughout the city.

Processing information:

We are committed to providing ethical, inclusive, and anti-racist description of the materials we steward, and to remediating existing description of our materials that contains language that may be offensive or cause harm. We invite you to submit feedback about how our collections are described, and how they could be described more accurately, by filling out the form located on our website: Report Potentially Offensive Description in Library Special Collections.

Arrangement:

Jakoberstrasse -- Sommernacht Kötzergasschen -- In der Fuggerei -- Rotes Tor -- Unterer Perlachberg -- Abend am Wall -- St. Ulrich -- Tor Fronhof -- Rathaus u[nd] Maria Stern -- Beim Vogeltor.

Physical location:
Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections for paging information.
Physical facet:

Each photograph is mounted individually on recto of large leaves of beige paper in recessed niche; captions in German pencilled in below each photo.

Unbound leaves are laid in phase box-style portfolio of manila cardstock; cropped version (9.8 x 7.3 cm) of the photograph of the Fuggerei included in the portfolio affixed to upper cover; ms. cover title "Alt-Augsburg" below in brown ink.

Spec. Coll. copy: in beige cloth clamshell box; gray box label, with title "Alt-Augsberg."

Rules or conventions:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Access and use

Restrictions:

Open for research. STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections for paging information.

Terms of access:

Property rights to the physical object belong to the UC Regents. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.

Preferred citation:

[Identification of item], Photographs of Augsburg from 1890-1905 (Collection 94/312). UCLA Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

Location of this collection:
A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575, US
Contact:
(310) 825-4988