San Francisco Yacht Club records, 1880-1958, bulk 1926-1932

Collection context

Summary

Creators:
San Francisco Yacht Club
Abstract:
The San Francisco Yacht Club records (SAFR 4834, HDC 645) contains materials dating from 1880 to 1958. The bulk of the materials date from 1926 to 1932. The collection contains yearbooks, scrapbooks, souvenir programs, brochures, articles, clippings, illustrations and sketches, membership rosters and by-laws, race charts, reports and results, correspondence, architectural drawings and specifications for vessels and buildings, development plan, contracts and a building permit. The records describe activities including boat design and building, club functions, building construction, yacht racing, rules and measuring. Named individuals include J. D. Spreckels (1880 Vice Commodore), Matthew Turner (1880 Measurer), John H. Piver (1927 Commodore) and Carl Rhodin (1929 Central Race Committee Chairman). Subjects in the records include the club location, relocation to Belvedere and the One Design Committee. Local businesses include the Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco Bay, the Nunes Bros. Designers and Boat Builders and the California Launch Works of Alameda, California. Folders 3 and 18 contain club histories.
Extent:
3.6 linear feet
Language:
In English.
Preferred citation:

[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], HDC0645 (SAFR 4834), San Francisco Yacht Club records, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Background

Scope and content:

The San Francisco Yacht Club records (SAFR 4834, HDC 645) contains materials dating from 1880 to 1958. The bulk of the materials date from 1926 to 1932. The collection contains yearbooks, scrapbooks, souvenir programs, brochures, articles, clippings, illustrations and sketches, membership rosters and by-laws, race charts, reports and results, correspondence, architectural drawings and specifications for vessels and buildings, development plan, contracts and a building permit. The records describe activities including boat design and building, club functions, building construction, yacht racing, rules and measuring. Named individuals include J. D. Spreckels (1880 Vice Commodore), Matthew Turner (1880 Measurer), John H. Piver (1927 Commodore) and Carl Rhodin (1929 Central Race Committee Chairman). Subjects in the records include the club location, relocation to Belvedere and the One Design Committee. Local businesses include the Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco Bay, the Nunes Bros. Designers and Boat Builders and the California Launch Works of Alameda, California. Folders 3 and 18 contain club histories.

Biographical / historical:

Administrative History

Founded in 1869, the San Francisco Yacht Club is the oldest club on the Pacific Coast of North America. The original anchorage and clubhouse were located in San Francisco near Mission Rock, but inadequate depth of water and increasing industrial growth in the area resulted in a move to Sausalito. Waterfront property was purchased and a new clubhouse erected, but it was subsequently destroyed by fire in 1897.

The rebuilt building is still standing and now houses a restaurant. Increasing ferry traffic and congestion contributed to a decision to move again in 1926. One group, headed by Commodore Clifford Smith, felt that Belvedere Cove would be an ideal location. Another group felt that the Club should move back to San Francisco and lease land from the City on the Marina.

After considerable discussion the Belvedere site was finally selected. Those who opposed the move resigned and formed the St. Francis Yacht Club. A small clubhouse on the Belvedere site was completed in 1934 and is still part of the present building.

Planning for the present 190 berth harbor was begun in 1933 and completed in 1957 when funds were available. The San Francisco Yacht Club, with its tranquil setting in Belvedere Cove and its superb harbor, is widely recognized as the premier yachting facility on the West Coast. It operates a year round facility including the harbor, a dry sail area, a full service restaurant and bar. The Club's exterior and interior were completely remodeled in 2007.

The club has a very active junior sailing program and all members, whether they own boats or not, are committed to the Corinthian traditions of yachting.

Credit: The San Francisco Yacht Club website at: www.sfyc.org on 28 March 2012.

Acquisition information:

SAFR-00001

This collection was transferred from the Golden Gate National Recreation Area museum collection to the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park museum collection.

Processing information:

Note on Description: The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide. P lease cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.

Arrangement:

This small collection is arranged in containers by size of materials including legal and oversize.

Physical location:
San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
Rules or conventions:
Finding aid prepared using Describing Archives: A Content Standard .

Access and use

Restrictions:

This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.

Terms of access:

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Preferred citation:

[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], HDC0645 (SAFR 4834), San Francisco Yacht Club records, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Location of this collection:
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123, US
Contact:
415-561-7030