Collection context
Summary
- Creators:
- Down Town Association (San Francisco, Calif.) and Downtown Association of San Francisco
- Abstract:
- The Downtown Association of San Francisco was an organization devoted to the betterment of San Francisco and its Downtown Business District from 1907 to approximately 2004. The collection contains articles of incorporation, correspondence, minutes, membership records, subject files, publications to members, newspaper clippings, original artwork and photographs.
- Extent:
- 17 cartons, 8 flat boxes, 3 bully boxes. (28 Cubic Feet)
- Language:
- Collection materials are in English.
- Preferred citation:
-
Collection on the Downtown Association of San Francisco (SFH 440), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.
Background
- Scope and content:
-
The Downtown Association of San Francisco was an organization devoted to the betterment of San Francisco and its Downtown Business District from 1907 to approximately 2004. The collection contains articles of incorporation, correspondence, minutes, membership records, subject files, publications to members, newspaper clippings, original artwork and photographs. The organization worked to encourage economic growth in San Francisco to build infrastructure, decrease traffic and keep the streets clean and free of nuisances. They also sponsored the first electric streetlights on Market Street, Christmas decorations in Union Square and created the 49 Mile Scenic Drive.
- Biographical / historical:
-
The Downtown Association of San Francisco (DASF) was founded just one year after the 1906 Earthquake and Fire devastated San Francisco. A temporary business district was established on Van Ness Avenue while the city was rebuilt. In 1907 W.D. Fennimore and John Hammersmith established the Downtown Association with the purpose of rebuilding and improving the downtown corridor and to bring business back to downtown from Van Ness Avenue where they feared it would stay. Once downtown was reestablished as the city’s commercial center, the association shifted its mission to improving the downtown triangle and eventually broadening its influence to include the entire city of San Francisco and adopting the motto “For the Good of the City”.
Membership to the Downtown Association was offered on a single or collective basis, a collective membership may have had up to 25 single memberships. Notable members of the association included W.P. Fennimore and Mayor Angelo Rossi along with collective members Bank of America, Pacific Gas and Electric, Standard Oil, Wells Fargo Bank, Pacific Telephone, City of Paris, FW Woolworth Co., Gump’s and Macy’s department stores. At the Downtown Association’s apex the association’s participation numbered over 1,000 members.
Regular weekly Luncheons were an important function of the association, usually taking place at the Saint Francis Hotel. Luncheons served to bring members together and provide a closer understanding of their work and progress. The Downtown Association also took excursions to Mexico in 1925 and again in 1930. Members and their wives traveled together to Mexico with the intention of developing trade relations.
The Downtown Association sponsored the first electric lights known as the “Path of Gold” on Market Street in 1916. Inspired by the lights designed by D’Arcy Ryan for the 1915 International Exposition the DASF invited Ryan to design streetlights for Market Street. The DASF continued to maintain the lights for several years until the city eventually assumed the cost. Starting in 1929 the DASF began sponsoring the Christmas decorations and entertainment for Union Square and continued their sponsorship for many decades. They created the 49 Mile Scenic Drive to promote tourism in San Francisco. They also published a regular periodical titled the Downtowner (1940-1950) and several other publications for their members.
The DASF participated in and influenced many civic projects including the elimination of litter and newspaper-racks, regulating street vendors, improving street lighting, reducing traffic, transportation and highway development, and constructing parking garages. They continued to influence city policy until the latter part of the 20th century when the association lost influence and eventually dissolved in the late 1990s or early 2000s.
- Custodial history:
-
Donated by Brennan Zerbe in 2016 for the Hearst Corporation, SF Realties Division.
- Processing information:
-
During processing, the collection was re-foldered and re-housed in acid-free folders and boxes. Some staples remain.
- Arrangement:
-
The collection is arranged in 9 series: Series 1: Historical Documents; Series 2: Minutes; Series 3: Membership; Series 4: Promotional Materials; Series 5: Correspondence; Series 6: Subject Files; Series 7: Functions and Events; Series 8: Graphic Materials; Series 9: Scrapbooks
- Physical location:
- Open for research. The collection is offsite and advance notice is required for retrieval. Material must be requested at least 4 business days in advance of visit.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Indexed terms
- Subjects:
- Civic improvement -- California -- San Francisco.
City planning -- California -- San Francisco. - Names:
- Down Town Association (San Francisco, Calif.)
Downtown Association of San Francisco
Rossi, Angelo J. (Angelo Joseph), 1878-1948 - Places:
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Planning.
Market Street (San Francisco, Calif.)
Access and use
- Restrictions:
-
The collection is open for research and available for use during San Francisco History Center hours. Photographs are available during Photo Desk hours. This collection must be requested at least 4 business days in advance of visit.
- Terms of access:
-
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
- Preferred citation:
-
Collection on the Downtown Association of San Francisco (SFH 440), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.
- Location of this collection:
-
San Francisco Public Library100 Larkin StreetSan Francisco, CA 94102, US
- Contact:
- (415) 557-4567