Correspondence, telegrams, notes, memoranda, clippings, accounts, lists, protocols, reports, inventories, and published materials
relating to the evacuation of the war orphans from Russia to Oudtshoorn, the establishment and operation of the Home, and
the care and education of the orphans.
In 1942, Polish military authorities in the USSR informed their government in London of the presence of large numbers of orphaned
and/or deported Polish children in Russia. The London Government, acting through Consul General Dr. Min. Stanislaw Lepkowski,
secured permission from the government of the Union of South Africa to transport 500 of the children to that country. In 1943,
after they had been evacuated to Iran, the children were brought to South Africa. The Polish Children's Home (Dom Polskich
Dzieci) was organized in Oudtshoorn in 1943 for their temporary accommodation, care, and education. Under the supervision
of the South African Department of Social Welfare, as well as of Polish consular and ministry representatives, it reamiend
in operation until the summer of 1947.
2 manuscript boxes
(0.8 Linear Feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Library & Archives.
The collection is open for research; materials must be requested in advance via our reservation system. If there are audiovisual
or digital media material in the collection, they must be reformatted before providing access.