Records include constitution and by-laws, correspondence, committee reports, budgets, speeches, clippings, and other materials,
1948-67, pertaining to the Foreign Policy Institutes, foreign scholarship program, high school conferences, Stanford United
Nations, Books for Africa program, and other activities of the organization. Some of the correspondence pertains to visits
by Dwight Eisenhower, Adlai Stevenson, Christian Herter, and other speakers. The collection also includes reports, publications,
and other materials of the Institute for the Study of Contemporary Cultures, 1965-68.
The Institute of International Relations was formed in 1947 from a merger of the Stanford Overseas Information Service and
other campus international groups. In addition to their regular program of speeches, publications, scholarships, and cultural
activities, the IIR produced programs for high school students on international problems, sponsored the Stanford United Nations,
and held an annual Foreign Policy Institute with speakers and seminars that was open to the general public. In 1961 the IIR
established a relationship with Makerere University in Uganda, sending one Stanford student to East Africa each year. The
Institute was the only student group to win the Freedoms Foundation medal. In the spring of 1968, the IIR and the International
Club merged to form the International Association.
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University