The Arthur D. Spearman, S.J. Papers, 1824-1977 (1955-1975), documents the life of priest, author, and former University Archivist
Father Arthur D. Spearman, S.J. The bulk of the collection consists of subject files and photographs used by Fr. Spearman
for his historical research. Fr. Spearman was an avid collector of materials related to his many research interests, including
mission history, the history of Santa Clara Valley, Santa Clara University, Native Americans, Jesuits, and his family genealogy.
The collection contains numerous newspaper clippings, informational literature, research notes, as well as various manuscripts
for published and unpublished articles written by Fr. Spearman. This collection is arranged into thirteen series: Series I.
Biographical and Personal Papers, 1920-1977 (1958-1972);
Series II. Family Materials, 1824-1977 (1945-1960); Series III. Subject Files, 1856-1975 (1955-1970); Series IV. Publications
and Manuscripts about Mission Santa Clara and Santa Clara University, 1948-1970 (1955-1967); Series V. Research on Jesuits
and Other Religious, 1873-1975 (1945-1965); Series VI. Research Materials and Manuscripts on John Joseph Montgomery, 1920-1977
(1955-1970); Series VII. Writings on Religious and Patriotic Themes, c. 1920-c. 1970 (1959-1967); Series VIII. Correspondence,
1927-1975 (1960-1972); Series IX. Collection and Research Index, undated; Series X. Artifacts, c. 1850-1975; Series XI. Audio
Recordings, 1963-1973; Series XII. Photographs, 1865-1974 (1950-1970); Series XIII. Oversize Materials, 1843-1973 (1955-1964).
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara
University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J. The University
of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
Materials in Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives and Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.