Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Elk River Mill and Lumber Company Records, [1884-1933]
BANC MSS C-G 192  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (60.72 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Elk River Mill and Lumber Company Records,
    Date (inclusive): [1884-1933]
    Collection Number: BANC MSS C-G 192
    Collector: Elk River Mill and Lumber Company
    Extent: Number of containers: 74 volumes
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Abstract: Records for one of the early sawmill operations in Humboldt County. Included are cash books, journals, ledgers, timebooks, letter books, invoices, receipts, cargo records, inventories, price lists, etc.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers


    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Elk River Mill and Lumber Company Records, BANC MSS C-G 192, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of Mr. Winfield Wrigley. Courtesy of Professor Emanuel Fritz. June, 1956.

    Scope and Content

    The Elk River Mill and Lumber Company was founded sometime in the 1860's by Noah Falk. The company remained under the control of the Falk Family, a prominent one in Eureka, until at least 1915. Sometime after this ownership passed to J. R. Hanify & Co. of San Francisco. The company operated continuously until the depression when it shut down until either 1937 or 1938 when it again opened for about a year at the end of which time the cutting rights of the timber were sold. The land itself is still owned by the Elk River Mill and Lumber Company. It was one of the oldest mills, but is only considered to have been of moderate size. According to Prof. Fritz the great value of the collection of records given to Bancroft lies in their completeness and the fact that they go back to such an early date. The company operated its own railroad and some of its locomotives are preserved as historic relics in the General Grant Museum in Eureka. The company records were given to BL by Winfield Wrigley a former manager of the mill.
    (All above information provided by Prof. Emanuel Fritz)