This collection on the Writers' Club of San Diego, established in 1915 to encourage and promote the work of local writers,
includes a variety of official and business documents, club and member correspondence, and works composed by club members.
The Writers’ Club of San Diego was inspired in the summer of 1915 by the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park, and
was incorporated in December of that year. The group’s objectives were “to endeavor by mutual help and encouragement to maintain
high ideals of work,” “to strive to secure suitable marketing for such [manuscripts] as have passed the censorship of the
Club,” and “to offer the hospitality of the club to visitors of San Diego who have attained eminence in the intellectual world.”
The Club was originally comprised of women although men were allowed to become members in the 1930s. To qualify for active
membership, one had to have received remuneration for an original manuscript. Club officers were elected on an annual basis.
The Club held regular meetings semi-monthly; meetings involved administrative matters, readings and criticisms of members’
works, and sometimes an invited speaker. Club members published a variety of writings, including fiction, poetry, book reviews,
travel writing, educational articles, and children’s works.