The small San Diego and Coronado Ferry Collection consists of five items, and documents selected financial operations of the company from early in its long history. It consists
of three financial ledgers, one report, and one broadside. The first ledger dates from 1907 to 1916 and includes detailed
information on capital, payrolls, expenses, dividends, cash charges, and taxes. Part of this ledger is devoted to bookkeeping
for specific jobs and projects, such as "Coronado Turnstile," "Painting the Steamer Ramona," and "New Safety Gates." The second
ledger dates from 1920-1935 and is organized much like the first. These ledgers give a clear record of the company's priorities
over several owners, and provide useful information on partnerships with local companies for infrastructure, improvements
based on customer needs, and problems arising from the company's growth and expansion. This financial picture of the company's
activities is supported by a 1924 valuation report which offers considerable detail about revenues and expenditures. The broadside,
showing tariffs for bay passage in 1910, documents the transportation habits of people and companies in the growing city.
The San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company provided ferry service for pedestrians and vehicles from San Diego to North Island
and Coronado. It was incorporated by H. L. Story and Elijah S. Babcock on April 14, 1886 and was a subsidiary of the Coronado
Beach Company. The company's first function was to transport workers building the Hotel del Coronado and to promote the development
of the island as a health resort and spa.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.