The San Bernardino County, California collection contains press clippings, correspondence, brochures, maps, and other material
pertaining to the history, culture, tourism, and local communities of the county. Material related to heritage sites, cultural
institutions, natural landmarks, residential life, and tourist attractions are included.
The county of San Bernardino was officially created on April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles, San Diego and Mariposa Counties.
The city of San Bernardino was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
Explorations of the San Bernardino area began in the 1770s and continued into the nineteenth century. In 1810, Franciscan
missionary Francisco Dumatz, of the San Gabriel Mission, named the San Bernardino valley in observance of the feast day of
Saint Bernardine of Siena. Later in the century, the county was used for gold and silver mining, as well as the agricultural
development of citrus fruit. The county of San Bernardino was officially created on April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles,
San Diego and Mariposa Counties. The city of San Bernardino was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
2.56 linear feet
Copyright Unknown: Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition,
the reproduction, and/or commercial use, of some materials may be restricted by gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing agreement(s), and/or trademark rights. Distribution or reproduction of materials protected
by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. To the extent other
restrictions apply, permission for distribution or reproduction from the applicable rights holder is also required. Responsibility
for obtaining permissions, and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
This collection is open for research.