The John C. Gordon Photographic Collection documents the history of San José and the Santa Clara Valley from 1910 to 1963.
The collection consists of 6,000 photographic prints, 187 panorama prints, and 657 panorama negatives.
John C. Gordon was born in Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin on January 3, 1887, the first son of Reverend G. W. Gordon. Reverend
Gordon earned his living as a photographer and as a Methodist preacher. John Gordon attended Albion College in Michigan, and
later took a teaching position in Nebraska. On June 8, 1910, he married Mina Eleanor Schnackenberg and following their wedding
reception, the couple moved to Campbell, California. Their first residence was in a prune orchard located on Budd Avenue,
and within a few years they relocated to Mayellen Avenue near West San Carlos Street. Gordon earned his early living working
at the local hardware store, while raising his young family.
(67 linear feet)
Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission
to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication
is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include
or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply
to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
The photographic prints described are open for research. The photographic negatives in Series III are restricted due to their