Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the John F. "Jack" Shelley Papers, 1953-1967 (bulk 1964-1967)
SFH 10  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The collection documents the one-term administration of San Francisco Mayor John F. ("Jack") Shelley during the years 1964-1968.
John Francis "Jack" Shelley was born to Dennis Shelley, a longshoreman and Irish immigrant, and Mary Casey Shelley, on Sept. 3, 1905, the oldest of nine children. Reared in the Mission District, he was a leader at Mission High School. Because of his size, tall and lanky, he worked as a merchant marine while still in school. He received his law degree from the University of San Francisco in 1932, driving a bakery truck during the day and playing varsity football in between classes and work. After college, Shelley worked as a business agent for the bakery wagon drivers union. During World War II, he served as an officer in the Coast Guard. At 31, Shelley became the youngest president of the San Francisco Labor Council in 1937, serving in that post until 1948 when he became Secretary-Treasurer. He was also president of the State Federation of Labor from 1947 to 1950. Shelley married Genevieve Giles in 1932 and had a daughter, Joan-Marie Shelley. His first wife died in 1952. In 1953, he married Thelma Smith, his secretary, with whom he had two children, Kathleen and Kevin. Kevin Shelley would later follow his father's political footsteps, serving as a San Francisco supervisor, state assemblyman, and Secretary of State.
8 cubic feet (11 boxes, 1 map folder)
Copyright has been assigned to the San Francisco Public Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items and the copyright.
The collection is open for research, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Please call the San Francisco History Center for hours and information at 415-557-4567.