Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the California State University Board of Trustees Records
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (91.93 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The California State University Board of Trustees Records (1961-1968) document the governances and administrative activities of the Board of Trustees. The records consist primarily of meeting minutes and resolutions, as well as administrative articles, correspondence, and directives representing revisions made to regulations pertaining to academic and administrative CSU employees. Several issues of the 1966 Sacramento Newsletter, published by the Office of the Chancellor, are also included in the records. This collection is arranged into a single series: Series I. Meeting Minutes, Administrative Files, and Newsletters, 1961-1968.
In 1857 the San Francisco Board of Education established Minns' Evening Normal School for current and prospective teachers in the city. Named after its principal, George W. Minns, the institution was formally established as the first California State Normal School by the State Legislature in 1862. A decade later, the Legislature voted to move the Normal School to San José, and the school relocated to its new home on Washington Square prior to the fall term of 1872. After a fire destroyed the Normal School building in 1880, the Legislature authorized $200,000 to construct a new building on the same site. Completed in 1881, the building was commonly referred to as the Second State Normal School. After several names and curriculum changes, Minns' Normal school is now San José State University, offering more than 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations, and is recognized as one of the top public universities granting such degrees in the West.
7 boxes (8.5 linear feet)
Copyright has been assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections and Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections and Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
The collection is open for research.