Photographs, drawings, and printed reproductions of illustrations depicting activities of anti-war, civil rights, labor, racial
justice, women's rights, and other protest movements in the United States and other countries, mainly from the 1960s through
the 1990s. Includes many photographs from Cuba and Nicaragua. Also includes photographs depicting activities of the Socialist
Workers Party in the United States and of related organizations in the United States and abroad. Collected by the New York
The Militant for use in illustrating its issues.
The Militant began publication in New York City in 1928 as the weekly newspaper of the Communist League of America, whose leaders had
just been expelled from the Communist Party, U.S.A. The Communist League of America was a part of the International Left Opposition
of the communist movement led by Leon Trotsky. The Militant has continued publication in close association with the Socialist Workers Party, successor to the Communist League of America.
The Anchor Foundation donated the collection to the Hoover Institution Library & Archives in 2004.
48 manuscript boxes
(19.2 Linear Feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Library & Archives.
The collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least two business days in advance of intended use.