Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
UC San Diego. Campus Planning Office records
RSS 4030  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (195.29 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Preferred Citation
  • Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Access
  • Related Materials
  • Digital Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Contributing Institution: Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla 92093-0175
    Title: UC San Diego. Campus Planning Office records
    Identifier/Call Number: RSS 4030
    Physical Description: 32.45 Linear feet (79 archives boxes, 1 records carton, and 4 oversize folders)
    Physical Description: .024 GB of digital files
    Date (inclusive): 1951-2002
    Abstract: The records of the Campus Planning Office document the office's administration, projects, and planning activities for the UC San Diego campus and community. Prominent subjects include campus academic, capital, facilities, and space planning. The records document the development of campus master and academic plans, construction and renovation projects, and the work of several planning committees.
    Languages: English .

    Preferred Citation

    UC San Diego. Campus Planning Office records. RSS 4030. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library

    Administrative History

    The Campus Planning Office is responsible for facilitating and coordinating long-range academic, fiscal, and facilities planning activities for the UC San Diego campus. The Campus Planning Office has undergone numerous changes in organization, reporting lines, and scope.
    Prior to 1957, all San Diego campus construction and improvement projects were managed by University of California Office of Architects and Engineers staff at UC Berkeley and UC Los Angeles. In 1957, a new Office of Architects and Engineers (OAE) was established at UC San Diego. J. W. Tippetts was appointed campus Building Program Coordinator and head of the OAE. The creation of the OAE and appointment of Tippetts coincided with the Regents' February 1957 approval of a master campus plan for the new San Diego general campus.
    The Building Program Coordinator oversaw the building program for the new general campus and for Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The OAE was staffed by planning and construction professionals with backgrounds in architecture, engineering, planning, inspection, and administrative support. University buildings were designed by private architecture firms with the advice of the office. The OAE managed the projects from the time it was designated a priority in the University's statewide building program until its completion.
    The Regents approved the development of the general campus site in October 1959, and approved an operating budget for FY 1960/61 in November of that year. These decisions were closely followed by the March 1960 approval of a master site plan for the School of Science and Engineering as well as plans for the first two buildings to be constructed. In August 1960, a unified landscape plan was begun for the entire campus, preserving the natural beauty of the site. As the campus' academic program developed, enrollments began to grow, and additional land was acquired by the University, J. W. Tippetts and his OAE staff were responsible for the management of all campus physical infrastructure projects.
    In December 1964, Chancellor John S. Galbraith created a new position of Assistant to the Chancellor for Planning and Analysis and appointed J. W. Tippetts. Established as a part of the Office of the Chancellor, Tippetts' planning unit was staffed by members of OAE. The unit oversaw the planning and analysis functions related to campus administration. This included the oversight of the building program and of space utilization, which were previously supervised by the OAE. The OAE, now led by Chief Campus Architect Mac A. Cason, served to coordinate between the University, the state of California, and the various contractors and architectural firms involved in the building program.
    In the mid-1960s, the name of the Planning and Analysis Office changed to the Office of Programming and Analytical Studies, and Chancellor Galbraith appointed Werner Lendenmann as Director in 1967. The Office worked with growth projections, coordinated capital improvement programs and Federal grant programs, prepared long-range fiscal plans based on enrollment and staffing projections, and developed an information management system. The office was staffed by analysts who assisted project building advisory committees and worked on equipment and grant proposals. Analysts in the Office also managed student and staff data to aid in the campus building programs, workload analysis, and fiscal planning.
    In August 1969, Chancellor William J. McGill created the Office of the Director of Planning and appointed Werner Lendenmann the Director. The Office of the Director of Planning was established as a clearinghouse for all campus planning, programming, and budgeting, and as a repository of campus-wide and University-wide statistical data. The Director of Planning reported to the Chancellor until 1974, after which time the Director's reporting line shifted to the Vice Chancellor for Administration (now named Vice Chancellor for Resource Management & Planning). Over time, Lendenmann's title changed to Assistant Vice Chancellor for Planning and then to Associate Vice Chancellor for Planning.
    In July 1980, the office was renamed the Office of Planning and Budget. Chancellor Richard Atkinson appointed V. Wayne Kennedy as Director of the Office, and Werner Lendenmann served as Associate Director. The change in name coincided with a major reorganization in which the budget office was combined with the departments of Academic Planning, Administrative Records, Capital Budget and Space Management, and Internal Audit. In March 1982, Kennedy moved on to become the Vice Chancellor for Resource Management and Planning (formerly named Vice Chancellor for Administration) until 1993. In this capacity, he oversaw all administrative functions of the campus and managed all of the offices within the Planning and Budget organization, as well as the Offices of Contract and Grant Administration, Development, and Public Information.
    The Office of Planning and Budget was renamed the Campus Planning Office in 1984. The Campus Planning Office is one of three units within Planning, Design and Construction. The functions of the current Campus Planning Office are separate from those of Capital Program Management and Design & Development Services; however, the responsibilities and functions of these three offices had been mixed in a variety of ways over the past decades. Over the years, the Campus Planning Office has held administrative oversight over several offices, committees, and administrative functions at different points in time, including academic planning, administration, budget, capital planning, physical infrastructure, and space management. Today, the Campus Planning Office oversees five units: Capital Planning, Community Planning, Environmental Planning, Space Planning, Facilities Information Management. The Campus Planning Office has oversight of the Campus/Community Planning Committee and the Open Space Committee. Additionally, the Marine Sciences Physical Planning Committee is jointly administered by the Campus Planning Office and Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The records of the Campus Planning Office document the office's administration, projects, and planning activities for the UC San Diego campus and community. Prominent subjects include campus academic, capital, facilities, and space planning. The records document the development of campus master and academic plans, construction and renovation projects, and the work of several planning committees.
    Today, the Campus Planning Office is one of three units within Planning, Design and Construction. The functions of the current Campus Planning Office are separate from those of Capital Program Management and Design & Development Services; however, the responsibilities and functions of these three offices have been mixed in a variety of ways over the past decades. Over the years, the Campus Planning Office has held administrative oversight over several offices, committees, and administrative functions at different points in time, including academic planning, administration, budget, capital planning, physical infrastructure, and space management. Due to this historical crossover, the Campus Planning Office records document some activities which are today the purview of Capital Planning Management and Design & Development Services.
    Arranged within seven series: 1) ADMINISTRATIVE FILES, 2) ACADEMIC PLANNING, 3) PLANNING STUDIES AND REPORTS, 4) CAMPUS / COMMUNITY PLANNING, 5) CAPITAL PLANNING, 6) PROJECTS, and 7) SPACE PLANNING.

    Access

    Original films are restricted. Viewing copies may be available for researchers.

    Related Materials

    UC San Diego. Office of the Vice Chancellor for Resource Management & Planning records. RSS 4000. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library.
    UC San Diego. Resource Management and Planning. Central University Library blueprints. RSS 4031. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library.
    UC San Diego. Office of Architects and Engineers records. SAC 60. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library.

    Digital Content

    One digital report in this collection is available to view on the UC San Diego Library's Digital Collections website. This report is also linked directly in the finding aid.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    University of California, San Diego
    University of California, San Diego. Campus Planning Office
    University of California, San Diego. Program Review Committee