hotographic negatives (131 total) date primarily from 1924 to the 1950s. They consist of interior and exterior views of the
Hotel Del Monte, scenic views, and views of Monterey historic adobe buildings from 1924 to 1937. Collection also includes
photographs of Fishermanʼs Wharf buildings from the 1950s. There are also some photographs made by Grahamʼs predecessors.
Julian P. Graham, born March 13, 1886, Washington, D.C., originally planned on a career as a semi-professional baseball player.
Instead, he became a traveling photographer. Arriving in Carmel, he worked for developer J. F. Devendorf. In February 1924,
Samuel F. B. Morse, Chairman of the Board of Del Monte Properties Company, offered Graham a job at the Hotel Del Monte resort
in Monterey. Graham operated his studio in the Hotel from 1924 until 1944, when he moved his shop to Pebble Beach, adjacent
to the new Del Monte Lodge. Graham worked as an independent photographer, photographing various Hotel and Pebble Beach sports
events, visitors and celebrities, as well as Monterey Peninsula scenic and historic sites. In 1944, Graham married Gwen Campbell,
Del Monte Press Bureau director. Julian Graham is considered one of the outstanding, world-renowned photographers of the Monterey
region. His work was reproduced in many national magazines.