The Visibility Laboratory conducted research in the fields of optics and underwater visibility. Funded primarily through U.S.
government contracts, Laboratory researchers studied problems of camouflage, detection, atmospheric optics, and remote sensing
of the Earth and oceans. The records document the administration and contract history of the Laboratory.
The Visibility Laboratory was founded in 1939 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) by Dr. Seibert Quimby Duntley
and Dr. Arthur Hardy. Initially funded by the Works Progress Administration, the Laboratory focused on the problem of surface
camouflage in the event of an aerial attack. As World War II continued, the National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) broadened
the Laboratory's scope of research, funding studies in target detection, the visibility of underwater objects, and the detection
of downed pilots.
33.4 Linear feet
(33 record cartons and 1 archives box)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.