Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Bernhard Collection
A2014.53 & 1953.32  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.74 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Bernhard Collection
    Dates: 1861-1983
    Collection Number: A2014.53 & 1953.32
    Creator/Collector:
    Extent: 2 Boxes
    Repository: Placer County Archives
    Auburn, California 95603
    Abstract: The Placer County Archives maintains a collection memorabilia, images, letters and documents relating to the extended family of patriarch Bernhard Bernhard.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    The Collection is open for research by appointment. Appointment times are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays from 9-3.

    Preferred Citation

    Bernhard Collection. Placer County Archives

    Biography/Administrative History

    Bernhard Bernhard was born in the Grand Duchy of Hesse-Cassel, Germany in 1833. He came to California and Placer County in 1852. Bernhard was a successful teamster, hauling freight throughout the mountain areas surrounding Auburn. In 1868, he and his wife, Rosa purchased about thirty acres and the former home of Eliza Carruthers on the Sacramento Road. Prior to Ms. Carruthers ownership, John Long and George Bishop ran a successful hotel and stage stop, called The Traveler’s Rest, encompassing the main building and surrounding property. Bernhard took over the existing orchard and vineyard and made superior wine and brandy. He was highly regarded in the community. At his passing, the home and property passed into the hands of his children and then grandchildren. In 1958, the property was sold to the 20th District Agricultural Association. By 1963, the local paper was announcing: “The Historic Traveler’s Rest Appears Doomed.” The Association let the property fall into disrepair and did not have the funds to repair it, it seemed that it would be torn down. The community was alarmed and galvanized to action with this news. The Placer County Historical Museum Foundation was formed to raise money for the restoration of the property. The property was sold to Placer County in 1973. Through the hard work of dozens of volunteers, donations, federal grants and state funds, the Bernhard House Museum opened its doors to the public on July 1, 1982.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    1953.32: 8 folders and day books. Legal documents referencing: George Bishop, John Long, N. W. Stewart, B. Bernhard, Sacramento, Placer & Nevada Railroad, Central Pacific Railroad, D. Marvin, California Midland Railroad and Hubbard, Hall and Allen. Day Books for Henry Bernhard’s store, includes cost of goods and customer names. A2014.53.1-.302: 15 folders containing paper ephemera: family tree, death certificates, passports, school records, misc. correspondence, military records, notes on horseshoeing, travel notes, marriage license, news clippings regarding the Bernhard Museum.