The Scripps Institution of Oceanography Office of the Director manages all aspects of the Institution, including education,
research, and collaboration with state, federal, international, and private organizations. The records were all created within
the Director's Office, and document the history of the administration of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
In 1903, UC Berkeley biologist William E. Ritter and San Diego physician Fred Baker, with the financial support of philanthropists
E. W. Scripps and Ellen Browning Scripps, founded the Marine Biological Association of San Diego. The purpose of the Association
was to advance the study of marine sciences. Ritter was appointed as its first Director and supervised the activities of temporary
research stations in San Diego Bay. In 1905, the Association leased property above La Jolla Cove and established a marine
laboratory. Ms. Scripps added a codicil to her will in 1909 bequeathing a gift to the Regents of the University of California
for a permanent marine biological station, and construction of the first building on the current campus, the George H. Scripps
Memorial Marine Biological Laboratory, was completed in 1910. In July of 1912, the Association deeded its property to the
Regents and became the Scripps Institution for Biological Research, formally becoming part of the UC System. In 1925, it was
renamed the Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO).
100 Linear feet
(246 archives boxes, 2 shoeboxes, 2 flat boxes, and 4 map case folders)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.