Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Stauffer Chemical Company records
M0901  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (121.03 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Scope and Contents
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Preferred Citation

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
    Title: Stauffer Chemical Company records
    Identifier/Call Number: M0901
    Physical Description: 180 Linear Feet (177 records storage boxes, 2 manuscript boxes, 8 flat boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1881-1987
    Abstract: The Stauffer Chemical Company records consists of materials documenting the company's activities. The materials include minutes books, financial statements, correspondence, and photographs.

    Scope and Contents

    The Stauffer Chemical Company records consists of board of directors minutes books, by-laws, articles of incorporation, financial statements, stock ledgers, annual reports, interoffice memorandums, newsletters, newspaper clippings, correspondence, photographs, slides, and other materials. The materials represent the Stauffer Chemical Company as well as various subsidiary companies and partnerships. The collection is arranged into six series and is primarily in original order.

    Biographical / Historical

    The Stauffer Chemical Company was founded in 1885 in San Francisco by two European immigrants, John Stauffer, Sr. and Christian de Guigne. The company mainly produced herbicides for corn and rice. It formed partnerships, mergers, and subsidiaries with many companies, including: The Pacific Hard Rubber Company, West End Chemical Company, Old Hickory Chemical Company, Cowles Chemical Company, Western Phosphates, Inc. and Victor Chemical Company. The company's headquarters moved from San Francisco to New York City and later to Westport, Connecticut. It also had offices in Los Angeles, California. In 1985 Stauffer Chemicals was sold to Chesebrough-Ponds, Inc. In 1987, they sold it to Imperial Chemical Industries who then quickly sold to Rhône-Poulenc, S.A. Some plants formerly operated by Stauffer Chemical Company have been declared Superfund sites, including the LeMoyne Plant in Axis, Alabama and the Tarpon Springs Plant in Florida.

    Conditions Governing Access

    The collection is open for research. Note that material is stored off-site and must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.

    Conditions Governing Use

    While Special Collections is the owner of the physical and digital items, permission to examine collection materials is not an authorization to publish. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Any transmission or reproduction beyond that allowed by fair use requires permission from the owners of rights, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item] Stauffer Chemical Company records (M0901), Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Chemical engineering
    Mines and mineral resources.
    Mineral industries -- Photographs.
    California -- History -- 1850-1950.