The Cal Poly Women's Club was a campus organization established by the wives of faculty and staff which operated on and off
campus from 1946 to 1998. While working to promote the University through social and cultural events, and fostering lifelong
friendships, the Club's main objective was to raise funds for various scholarships offered to students who contributed to
Cal Poly Pomona through leadership and service. The funds were raised by Club-hosted events held annually, such as the fashion
and quilt shows. The Cal Poly Women's Club also held welcome dinners at the beginning of each school year for all faculty
and their spouses, until the number of guests grew too large. The collection includes administrative records; newsletters
produced by the Club, materials on scholarship; and photographs, scrapbooks, and realia.
The Cal Poly Women's Club (CPWC) was established in 1946 and was one of the first clubs formed at the school that would eventually
become California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. In 1938, California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo established
a satellite campus at the former site of the Voorhis School for Boys in San Dimas, California. The campus became known as
the Voorhis Unit and by 1946 had 270 students, all male. The CPWC was formed by three wives of three faculty members at the
Voorhis Unit as a group for other wives of faculty and staff to promote the well-being of the college, to assist first and
second year students in acclimating to college life, and to offer cultural and social events in an effort to forge lifelong
17.29 Linear Feet
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository
and the copyright holder.
Advance notice required for access.