documents Fryman's work in the early 20th century hospitality
industry through maps, receipts, and photographs related to Los Angeles hotels and
cafes. Both his work as a Southern California land developer and the role of Fryman
Ranch in silent film production are documented through photographs and
Harry C. Fryman (1876-1946) was born in Ohio and moved to Los Angeles in 1893. He began
his career in the local hotel business as a bellboy at the Mount Lowe Hotel, but
eventually worked his way up to manager. After working at Mount Lowe Hotel, he managed
Hollenbeck Café, Hotel Vincent (later Hotel Palms), Gordon Arms Hotel (later Brighton
Beach Hotel at Terminal Island), Van Nuys Hotel on Broadway, and the Lankershim Hotel.
He married Mae A. Fox in 1900. In 1905 he constructed Hotel Hayward at the former
location of the original Ralph's grocery store, at 6th and Spring in downtown Los
Angeles. Its early success led to the building of additions in the late 1910s and mid
1920s. His Wagener nephews worked with him, with Russell H. Wagener managing Hotel
Hayward for a number of years.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.