The collection contains commencement exercise announcements for the 1915 and 1918 Sonoma Valley Union High School graduating
classes. The 1918 announcement includes a card for E. Lester Hawkins and an envelope addressed to Miss Esther Hawkins of Oakland,
In the 1891 Sonoma's first high school used the three-story Cumberland College building located on Broadway. During the eight
years of its existence, the college flourished and had at one time as many as 400 students, mostly from other parts of California
and nearby states. It was closed when the State University of California campus opened in Berkeley. Sonoma Valley Union High
School had its first commencement in 1894, graduating two students. The Principal from 1897 to 1901 was Benjamin Weed. San
Francisco's 1906 earthquake tumbled buildings in Sonoma, among them the high school. Students attended classes in a church
basement and the upstairs of Clewe's store on the corner of Broadway and Napa Street, until a new school was built on the
foundation of the old Cumberland College. Classes, varying in size from three to more than a dozen continued in this building.
Over time, the campus was transformed through a number of building projects. The high school is still in existence and remains
the only high school in Sonoma. In 2018, the school served over 1300 students.
0.1 linear feet
1 document folder (31 x 25 cm)
Collection does not circulate and may be photocopied or photographed by arrangement only.
Conditions Governing Access:
This collection is partially processed. Please contact the Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library for access; for
contact info and current hours, see