The Samuel T. Hurst papers span 11 linear feet and date from circa 1938 to circa 2007. The collections contains architectural
drawings and reprographic copies of the following projects: ranch cabin for the Gould’s and Hurst’s, Laurel Spring Ranch,
Carson and Hurst residence, Hayden residence, Deyoung residence, Wilson residence, Brock residence, Rintels residences, Roden
residence, Anker residence, and Hurst’s student work at both Georgia Institute of Technology and Harvard University. The collection
also contains photographs of projects and faculty members in the Architecture and Fine Arts School at USC circa 1965; newspaper
and magazine clippings regarding the professional and academic career of Hurst which date from circa 1959 to 1990s; Hurst’s
speeches which were delivered to the Georgia Institute of Technology, Tulane University, the University of California Santa
Barbara, the Santa Barbara chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Auburn, and USC and date from 1939 to 2007; professional
and academic publications which primarily date from the 1960s.
Samuel T. Hurst was born in 1921. In 1942, he received his bachelor’s degree in architecture from the Georgia Institute of
Technology. Six years later, in 1949, Hurst earned his master’s degree in architecture from Harvard. After graduate school
Hurst formed a partnership with the architect John W. Lawrence, however the firm dissolved one year after it had begun, in
1951. In 1952, Hurst opened his own firm.