Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Remillard Brick Company Records
2017-54  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.68 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Remillard Brick Company Records
    Dates: 1878-1898
    Collection Number: 2017-54
    Creator/Collector:
    Extent: Six ledgers
    Repository: History San Jose Research Library
    San Jose, California 95112
    Abstract: Six bound ledgers from the Remillard Bros. company operations covering the time period 1878-1898. These ledgers were recovered by the donor from the Ashworth-Remillard House on Story Road in San Jose, the legacy of Countess Lillian Remillard Dandini, daughter of Peter Remillard.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    The collection is open to the public for research by appointment with the Curator of Library & Archives.

    Publication Rights

    For information on reproduction and publication, contact the Curator of Library & Archives

    Preferred Citation

    Remillard Brick Company Records. History San Jose Research Library

    Acquisition Information

    The ledgers were donated by Sue Cucuzza to History San Jose in 2017 for preservation, after being stored at the Ashworth-Remillard House in San Jose for decades.

    Biography/Administrative History

    These ledgers have been stored on the former property of Peter Remillard and his daughter Countess Lillian Remillard Dandini on Story Road, in San Jose. Originally built by James Ashworth, the house was sold to Remillard, whose company operated a local brick yard in San Jose. Countess Dandini took over the business after her father died, and presumably the ledgers were kept at the house throughout her tenure as business manager and owner of the house. Dandini left the house to Joseph Covey, who passed away in 2010. The Ashworth-Remillard house has been undergoing restoration through the efforts of local preservation groups.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Six bound ledgers documenting the activities of the Remillard Bros. company (later Remillard Brick Company), not limited to their San Jose operations. The ledgers are as follows: (1) Day book beginning Saturday, December 7th, 1878, and ending Tuesday, April 20, 1800, listing what appear to be outgoing shipments, by day, noting the customer, method of shipping, and goods shipped. (2) Ledger beginning December 1882 through 1885, listing cash accounts, with "Collected Cash" on the left -hand pages and "Secretary Cash" on the right-hand pages. Lists names and amounts. (3) Ledger of customer accounts (1890). (4) Ledger of daily activities beginning July 8, 1890, and ending January 22, 1891. The majority of the ledger contains orders/shipments by day including location, goods ordered, and price. Several pages at the end of the daily logs are simply lists of names by day, beginning January 10, 1891 through February 24, 1891, designated "Oakland." (5) Ledger of accounts (1890), with alphabetical index at front. Each page lists name of company or individual, with address, and transactions by date. (6) Ledger containing multiple activities for years 1891-1898. First page is titled "Stocks" 1892. The next few pages list Secretary Cash and Collected Cash for 1892. This is followed by pages of individual running balances for 1891-1898, including transactions at each Remillard brick operation.