Sister Agnes Schmit, RSCJ was born in South Dakota in 1912. She attended the University of South Dakota for her BA, St. Louis
University for her MS, and completed her Ph.D. at Stanford University in 1947. She became a professor in the San Diego College
for Women Department of Chemistry in 1956, and later became the Chairman of the department. In 1968, Schmit was named a Fellow
of the Chemist's Institute and in 1970 she was awarded a Clarence L. Steber Foundation grant. She continued as Professor of
Chemistry until her retirement in 1978. At that time, she was conferred as Professor of Chemistry, Emeritus.