The Donald Greaton Gardena Collection consists of yearbooks, plats, and various related school publications from Gardena High
School. The yearbooks included in this collection range from 1907 until 1955 and consists of original and scanned photocopies
versions. The collection also includes plat maps surrounding the Gardena High School, and other school-related publications.
Gardena High School began offering classes in 1904, however, it was not until 1907 when the school became a part of the Los
Angeles School district. In 1910, the Los Angeles board decided to make Gardena High School into Gardena Agricultural High
School because of its location near agricultural lands. Subsequently, the school bought more land and built buildings that
were more suited for agricultural learning and application. The yearbook was named, "El Arador" meaning "The Plowman" in Spanish.
However, the agricultural learning project was abandoned in 1920 because of increasing expenses. In 1950, 50 acres were bought
to build a new school and facilities located on 182nd St. between Normandie and Vermont. In 1956 the new site for the school
held its first classes and still stands today as the current location of the Gardena High School.
4.5 Linear Feet
(10 boxes unprocessed)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
This collection is unprocessed. Please contact the Archives and Special Collections department in advance to request access.