The San Francisco Maritime Museum records consist of textual records in nine series: Organizational records, Financial records,
Correspondence, Library records, Museum Vessel records, Museum Publications, Manuscripts, Periodical Articles and Newspaper
Articles. The bulk of the collection dates are 1963 to 1977; inclusive dates are 1921 to 1978. The Museum was dedicated on
May 27, 1951 in the Casino Building of Aquatic Park. Mrs. Alma de Brettville Spreckles and Karl Kortum were the lead individuals.
The first vessel of the Historic Fleet was the Balclutha, purchased in 1954.
The San Francisco Maritime Museum Association was incorporated in California on January 6, 1950. The formal dedication of
the San Francisco Maritime Museum occurred on May 27, 1951 in the Casino Building of Aquatic Park.