In 1953, the Eastside Church of Christ began in conjunction with Columbia Christian School in Portland, Oregon. The collection
includes financial records and other documents related to church business from 1960 to 2006.
The Eastside Church of Christ began in 1953 in conjunction with Columbia Christian School. On June 7, 1953, the first service
was held in the school auditorium. Eighty-five people attended that day (most were from Central) and two were baptized. Within
the next few months, four elders (Walter Burkett, Earl Smith, Chester Kennedy, and Bert Claspill) and five deacons (Bill Ragsdale,
Curtis Danner, Bill Davis, Bill Powell Jr., and Sewell Magnani) were appointed. L.D. Webb (president of Columbia) was hired
as the preacher. One year later, Claude Guild moved to Portland to preach at Eastside and to serve as vice-president at Columbia.
Attendance at that time was about 100 and the weekly contribution was about $150. In 1957, a building fund was started and
the lot at 90th and Glisan was purchased. Construction began on June 9, 1959, at a cost of about $230,000. On June 12, 1960,
the first worship service was held in the new building. By 1968, the average attendance had grown to 465.
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.