This collection contains photos, documents, minutes, newsletters, campaign materials, regarding the Jewish Federation of San
Diego County from the 1940s to 2013.
The first Jewish Federation was founded in Boston in 1895 as Associated Jewish Charities. Other cities formed their own Jewish
charity groups, caring for the needs of their own communities and sending funds overseas to help Jews in need. In 1932 the
National Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds was founded as the umbrella organization for local American and Canadian
chapters. In 1939 the national United Jewish Appeal (UJA) was formed, merging the fund-raising campaigns of the American Jewish
Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the United Palestine Appeal, and the New York Association for New Americans. In 2018 the
umbrella organization is called Jewish Federations of North America.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.