Ledger of orchard accounts from the Payne ranch (1870-1892) located near Campbell, California, and Local Secretary-Treasurer's
Minute Books from Moreland Local No. 92, Farmers' Educational and Co-operative Union of America, California Division (1927-1936).
George C. Payne was a well-known Santa Clara Valley horticulturist and orchardist from a pioneer family, who operated a 100-acre
ranch with his brother J. Howard near Campbell, California. The land was originally established by James F. Payne, who came
to California from New York in 1852. George spent time with Luther Burbank in Santa Rosa learning the art of hybridizing,
and became an authority in grafting, of walnut trees in particular. He married Helen Schultz of San Jose.
For reproduction and publication permission, please contact the Curator of Library & Archives.
The collection is available to the public for research by appointment with the Curator of Library & Archives. The ledger has
been photographed and can be viewed through History San Jose's online catalog.