Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Athletic Department Records
0001  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (78.28 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Preferred Citation
  • Immediate Source of Acquisition
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Scope and Contents
  • Arrangement
  • Processing Information

  • Title: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Athletic Department Records
    Creator: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Athletic Department
    Identifier/Call Number: 0001
    Contributing Institution: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Special Collections and Archives
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 26.6 Linear Feet (39 boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1950-2017
    Abstract: Cal Poly Pomona's athletics program began 1939 when the school formed a baseball team. In the following decades, a number of sports have been introduced for both men and women including basketball, track, cross country, volleyball, and tennis. The collection includes photographs, papers, memorabilia, and audiovisual recordings documenting the students, staff, and various teams that have participated in Cal Poly Pomona's athletic programs.

    Conditions Governing Access

    Advance notice required for access.

    Conditions Governing Use

    Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

    Preferred Citation

    [Box/folder# or item name], California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Athletic Department Records, Collection no. 0001, University Archives, Special Collections and Archives, University Library, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

    Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Most of the photographs, memorabilia, and audiovisual materials in the collection were transferred by the Athletic Department to the University Archives in June 2000. The letterman's jacket and letterman's blanket were donated to the University Archives by alumnus John Leedom in 1995. The basketball jersey was donated to the University Archives by alumnus Ernest Gee in 1996. The track and field jersey was donated to the University Archives by alumnus Steve Love in 1996. Other materials were gathered from University Archives files.

    Biographical / Historical

    Cal Poly Pomona's athletics program dates back to 1939, when the school—then known as the Voorhis Unit of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo—formed a baseball team. The Voorhis Unit was established in 1938 at the former site of the Voorhis School for Boys in San Dimas, California as the southern satellite campus for Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. The baseball team played against local high schools and junior colleges until 1943, when Cal Poly abruptly closed the campus in response to declining war-time enrollment.
    The campus reopened in fall of 1946, reintroduced baseball, and soon added football, basketball, track, and tennis to the athletics program. Before the war-time closure, the campus and its teams used the same nickname as San Luis Obispo: Cal Poly Mustangs. By early 1947, the San Dimas students lobbied for a name change to differentiate themselves from the main campus. The name change movement gained traction and the students voted that September to become the Broncos, the name Cal Poly Pomona students and alumni are known by to the present day.
    In 1951, Cal Poly became a member of the SCIA (Southern California Independent Association) league. Through the 1950s and 1960s, Cal Poly would introduce swimming, wrestling, soccer, water polo, golf, gymnastics and cross country programs. In 1966, Cal Poly became a member of the CCAA (California Collegiate Athletic Association) Conference, part of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II. That same year, the school would officially separate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and became the 16th campus to join the California State College System.
    Cal Poly Pomona admitted its first female students in 1961, although it would take several years for women's sports teams to be included in the athletics program. Women's cross country, tennis, and volleyball teams were formed first. By the early 1970s, there were women's field hockey, basketball, swimming, badminton, softball, and track and field teams. A co-ed volleyball team was formed in 1969 in addition to the men's and women's teams.
    Several notable student athletes have come out Cal Poly Pomona. Track and field team member Chi Cheng set world records in the 200-meter hurdles and in the 100-meter hurdles and won a bronze medal at the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico City. Football player Jim Zorn went on to play and coach for National Football League (NFL) teams. Other alumni have gone on to play for professional teams in the United States and abroad. Distinguished Cal Poly Pomona coaches include John Scolinos, who was appointed head baseball coach in 1962, served as pitching coach for the U.S. Olympic team in 1984, and retired as the winningest coach in NCAA Division II history, and Darlene May, who coached women's basketball in the 1980s and won three national championships.

    Scope and Contents

    The collection includes photographs of Cal Poly Pomona athletics teams, coaches, staff, and people and events related to the Athletic Department; information guides for Cal Poly Pomona varsity teams, clippings, news releases, and other paper records; memorabilia; and audiovisual materials.

    Arrangement

    The collection is arranged in the following series: 1. Photographs; 2. Papers; 3. Memorabilia; 4. Audiovisual Materials.

    Processing Information

    The collection was processed by Jeffrey Nelson and Emily Chavarria under the supervision of Alexis Adkins in 2017.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona - Athletic Department
    College sports
    photographs