Small collection of papers and photographs from the estate of Judge William F. James, former Santa Clara County Superior Court
Judge. The papers contain his notable opinions, and materials related to the dedication of the William F. James Boys Ranch
in Morgan Hill, California.
William F. James was born on October 16, 1875, to a pioneer family in San Jose. He began practicing law in 1896, forming a
law firm with Louis Oneal, where he worked before and after his career as a judge. He was appointed to the Superior Court
in 1933 by Governor James Rolph Jr., presiding over the Juvenile Court, and retired in 1963. He passed away from a heart attack
at his home on the Stanford University campus on August 18, 1966.
Contact the Curator of Library & Archives regarding publication and reproduction.
The collection is open to the public for research by appointment with the Curator of Library & Archives.