The Permanente Metals Corporation photograph album, 1941-1945, (SAFR 24426, P14-006) is comprised of an album containing photographs
of World War II shipbuilding activities at the Kaiser Shipyards, operated by the Permanente Metals Corporation, in Richmond,
California. The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
The Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, California, were owned by Henry J. Kaiser and managed by the Permanente Metals Corporation.
The contract to build Richmond Shipyard No. 1 was signed on December 9, 1940, and construction began in January 1941. Approval
to build Shipyard No. 2 followed in April. Shipyard Numbers 3 and 4were built in 1942. The Richmond Kaiser Shipyards built
747 ships in four years during World War II, 519 of which were Liberty ships.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other
case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.