This collection consists of newspapers, periodicals and photographs published by students of Glendale Community College (GCC)
from 1928 to 2017. The materials include newspapers, photographs, yearbooks, periodicals, clippings, and printing plates.
Glendale Community College (GCC) is a community college in Glendale, CA. GCC was founded as Glendale Junior College in 1927.
From 1927 to 1929 classes were held in the building of Glendale Union High School at Broadway and Verdugo in Glendale. GCC
moved to the present site at North Verdugo Avenue in 1937 with the support of a bond election and funds matched equally by
a WPA grant. In 1970 GCC became part of the Glendale Junior College District and 1971 the California Board of Education adopted
a resolution changing the District name to Glendale Community College District. The District is a constituent community college
district of the California Community College System.
Student-run publications have been a mainstay of GCC academic life. The student newspaper, El Galleon, was established in
1927 and the name changed to El Vaquero in 1936 and 1946. The annual yearbook was initially called Log in 1928 and the name
was changed to La Reata for the 1937 issue.
35.2 linear feet (111 oversize bound volumes, 52 flat boxes, 22 document boxes, 18 shoes boxes, 1 half document box, 1 oversize
The GCC Archives maintains manuscripts, documents, video recordings, and photographs associated with history of the College.
In many cases, GCC Archives own only the physical item, not the intellectual property or copyright and therefor assumes no
responsibility for violations of such rights or for any other legal issues resulting from the use or publication of the items.
Collection is open for research. Archival materials are to be used in the Library and do not leave the premises. GCC Library
staff retrieve archival materials for researchers to use in the Library. Contact GCC Library staff to make an appointment.