Although students participated in extra-curricular "cadet" training as early as 1895, it wasn't until 1948 that a formal division
of an Air Force ROTC unit was established. At first recognized as Air Science, the coursework of Professional Officer training
was redesignated as Aerospace Studies in 1966. Records of this group include publications such as brochures and yearbooks,
correspondence and report files of the Commandant, academic files of faculty and records of student activities.
Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in Los Angeles, California, was founded as Loyola College of Los Angeles in 1911
by members of the Society of Jesus after the closure of St. Vincent’s College, a school for boys created by Vincentian Fathers
in 1865. Loyola College grew quickly and a new campus was selected in 1917. In 1920, Loyola College began offering graduate
level education by founding a separate law school. Official establishment of a graduate division would not occur until June
1950 even though the law school continued to thrive and after a Teacher Education Program at Loyola College had been created
in 1948. Continued growth of the college prompted a second move for Loyola College in 1929 to the current campus in Westchester.
Incorporated as Loyola College in 1918, the school achieved official university status in 1930. While Loyola University was
experiencing a high growth rate in the early 20th century, so was the education program offered by the Religious of Sacred
Heart of Mary for young women that had begun in 1923. In 1933, Marymount Junior College was opened in Westwood, Los Angeles.
The college continued to grow; in 1948 the Junior College became a four-year university and granted its first baccalaureate
degrees in 1948. In 1960, Marymount College moved to a campus on the Palos Verdes Peninsula to accommodate its growing student
body. In 1968, Marymount College moved one last time to share the Loyola University campus. Although the two schools shared
a physical space, Marymount College and Loyola University were still two separate schools and remain so for five years. Loyola
Marymount University was officially named in 1973 after Loyola University and Marymount College merged. Student-run newspapers
and periodicals have been a longstanding tradition in LMU’s history, beginning in 1920 with The Cinder in the Eye, the official
newspaper of Loyola College. In 1923 the newspaper’s name changed to The Loyolan, and later to The Los Angeles Loyolan, which
is currently published weekly in print and updated daily online. Newspapers and periodicals continue to be a great way for
students to not only share news, but to showcase their ideas, opinions, and writing skills with the LMU community.
1.0 Linear Feet
2 document boxes
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise,
Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher
must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility
for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or
Library, Loyola Marymount University.