Photographs related to the Sister’s Inn restaurant located in San Luis Obispo, California and owners Annabelle Warren, Alice
E. Harris, and James Bowers. Magazines and newspaper clippings related to model and actress Annazette Williams Chase.
The Sister’s Inn restaurant was located at 208 Higuera Street in San Luis Obispo from the early 1950s to mid-1960s near what
was then known as Japantown. The restaurant was owned by the Hughes sisters Annabelle Thelma Hughes Warren and Alice Edna
Hughes Bowers. Sister’s Inn was one of the few African-American owned businesses in the area during this time period.
Prior to opening Sister’s Inn, the sisters owned and operated Annabelle’s Café located at 190 Higuera and later at 142 Higuera
circa 1950 – 1952. Annabelle Warren also owned Club Morrocco, a local tavern located at 538 Higuera Street circa 1968 – 1970.
By 1971 Annabelle’s occupation in the city directory listing had changed to ‘retired’. Alice E. Bowers was formerly married
and widowed from Army Private Arthur Leon Harris (b. 15 Aug. 1915 – d. 30 November 1958). Alice’s second husband, James Cassewey
Bowers (b. 7 January 1914/1917 – d. 11 January 2009) was a US Merchant Marine.
Annazette (Annacetta) Williams, Rosa Lee Williams, Alice Williams, and Ron Williams, descendants of the owners, attended San
Luis Obispo High School. The siblings were all active and successful members of the high school drill team, drama, and other
school activities. Alice Williams, the eldest sibling, was head majorette of the drill team and was later invited to audition
for the Ramettes, the cheer team for the Los Angeles Rams. Rosa Lee was also head majorette, and Annazette tied for head cheerleader.
After graduation, Annazette moved to Los Angeles and pursued a career in acting and modeling. She was featured in magazines
as an artist, model, and actress. Annazette starred in multiple films including The Greatest, The Toy, Truck Turner, and The
Mack. She also appeared in multiple television movies and series between 1964 and 1984.
Digital copies are provided to researchers for the purpose of study, research, and personal use only, unless otherwise specified
in writing. Materials that are the property of Cal Poly Special Collections and Archives require written permission prior
to publication. No complete collection may be reproduced. For print and online publication, please visit our Reproduction
Services page online at http://lib.calpoly.edu/support/sca-policies/reproduction/. Special Collections and Archives reserves
the right to review all reproduction requests and to withhold permission if scanning would endanger the material, would violate
copyright law, or would violate institutional restrictions.
Collection is open to researchers by appointment. For more information on visiting, access policies, and reproduction requests,
please visit our Reference Services page online at http://lib.calpoly.edu/search-and-find/collections-and-archives/reference-services/.