The collection documents cases and other activities of the Sacramento County Court from its establishment in 1850 to its abolishment
in 1879 when the Superior Court system was created. The largest portion of the collection is made up of case files for civil
and criminal trials. In addition, the collection contains court minutes; criminal and civil judgments; criminal records, registers
of actions, and calendars; juror registers; fee books; and other documents.
The County Court of Sacramento County was established by state legislature in 1850. The court was under the supervision of
the county judge, and the county clerk served as its clerk. County Court held four regular sessions per year, hearing lower-level
civil cases, probate cases, trials of appeals from justices of the peace, and other pending special cases. In 1851, the state's
court system was changed, and jurisdiction of probate cases was transferred to the county Probate Court. In 1863, the County
Court took over jurisdiction of criminal cases after the Court of Sessions was abolished. In 1879, the County Court was abolished
by the state and its functions were transferred to the newly created Superior Court.
34.61 linear feet (72 boxes, 36 volumes)
All requests to publish or quote from private manuscripts held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to the firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron.
No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Collection is open for research use.