Woman's Club Collection
documents the Club's founding in 1918 as the Mother's Club
of Marian, through its twentieth century evolution into a member club of the California
Federation of Women's Clubs, Sierra-Cahuenga District. Materials provide insight into social
networks in the San Fernando Valley and women's role in local charity organizations, social
service, and fundraising.
The Reseda Woman's Club began in 1918 when a group of nineteen women gathered at Marian
Elementary School to organize the Mother's Club of Marian. Martha McClure, principle of the
school and club initiator, was elected the first president. In 1922, the club changed its
name to the Reseda Woman's Club after the town of Marian was renamed Reseda. The club
incorporated into the California Federation of Women's Clubs (CFWC) in January 1923,
becoming one of thirty-three members of the CFWC Sierra-Cahuenga District. The Reseda Junior
Woman's Club branch was founded in 1950 to bring together young women from the ages of 18 to
35 residing in Reseda. The junior club branch dissolved in 1970.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires
the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.