The collection consists of the business records of the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company.
The American-Hawaiian Steamship Company was founded in 1899 by George S. Dearborn and his brother-in-law, Lewis Henry Lapham
in New York City. The company grew to own the largest single fleet of freighters under the American flag in the trade between
the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and in the Territory of Hawaii. It was a pioneer in the building of large modern American
steam freighters, in introducing oil-fired boilers, in opening the steamer-railroad route across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec
and in the early commercial transits of the Panama Canal. By 1930 the company operated over 50 ships and in World War II these
ships were called into government service. After the war, the bulk of the company's fleet was dispersed and because of growing
operating costs, intercoastal service was suspended in 1953.
1.66 Linear Feet
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and
obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader