The San Francisco Botanical Garden (SFBG) Records span the years 1935-2016 (bulk 1959-2008), and includes drawings, photographs
and manuscript materials related to San Francisco Botanical Garden and Golden Gate Park. The records are organized into four
series: 1) Planting Areas/Gardens, 2) San Francisco Botanical Garden, 3) Buildings, and 4) Golden Gate Park.These records
were created for San Francisco Botanical Garden by a variety of designers and firms, many under the auspices of the City and
County of San Francisco (SFCC) Department of Parks and Recreation or the Department of Public Works and/or the Department
of Engineering as well as the San Francisco Botanical Garden Society.
Golden Gate Park (GGP) was created in 1870 when Army-trained engineer William Hammond Hall was appointed Park Engineer and
created a detailed site survey and preliminary design. John McLaren, who served as the park's superintendent from 1887 to
1943 is credited with the vision and skill that developed GGP into one of the world's great parks.
San Francisco Botanical Garden (SFBG) became a reality in 1926 when Helene Strybing, the prosperous widow of a San Francisco
merchant, provided the funds in her bequest to establish an arboretum and botanical garden in Golden Gate Park. The Botanical
Garden opened officially in 1940, designed around a central axis that still exists between the central fountain and the Zellerbach
49 Linear feet: 7 document boxes, 2 cartons, 71 Oversize folders, 27 tubes
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
Collection is open for research. Advance notice is required for use.