Annual reports, board minutes, admission and discharge records, indenture and adoption files, correspondence, administrative
and financial records, property and maintenance records, and photographs of children, staff, buildings, activities, and events
for the San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum, which became Edgewood. The collection also includes a small amount of records
from the San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children that were acquired by Edgewood.
Edgewood, currently known as Edgewood Center for Children and Families, was the first children's services agency in San Francisco.
Founded by the San Francisco Orphan Asylum Society in 1851 as the San Francisco Orphan Asylum (SFOA), it has undergone many
name changes and several alterations in mission and function over the years. In 1862, in order to distinguish it from other
agencies then in existence, its name was changed to San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum (SFPOA). In 1944, encouraged by
popular parlance of the children, the name was officially changed to Edgewood. Over the years, the institution evolved from
being an orphanage to a home additionally serving children and adolescents with problem family situations; and in 1951, it
became a residential treatment program for teenagers. In subsequent years outside of the scope of this collection, Edgewood
has also provided day treatment, educational services, and services to children and adults with learning disabilities. It
has occupied several sites and campuses throughout the city.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.