This collection contains legal documents related to the ownership, transfer of title, and division of the property known as
Rancho La Ballona.
Rancho La Ballona was a 13,920-acre Mexican land grant in present day Los Angeles County confirmed by Governor Juan Alvarado
in 1839 to Ygnacio and Agustín Machado and Felipe and Tomas Talamantes. The Machados and Talamantes had already been given
a specific Spanish concession to graze their cattle on this land in 1819.
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise,
Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher
must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility
for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or