The Downtown Association of San Francisco was an organization devoted to the betterment of San Francisco and its Downtown
Business District from 1907 to approximately 2004. The collection contains articles of incorporation, correspondence, minutes,
membership records, subject files, publications to members, newspaper clippings, original artwork and photographs.
The Downtown Association of San Francisco (DASF) was founded just one year after the 1906 Earthquake and Fire devastated San
Francisco. A temporary business district was established on Van Ness Avenue while the city was rebuilt. In 1907 W.D. Fennimore
and John Hammersmith established the Downtown Association with the purpose of rebuilding and improving the downtown corridor
and to bring business back to downtown from Van Ness Avenue where they feared it would stay. Once downtown was reestablished
as the city’s commercial center, the association shifted its mission to improving the downtown triangle and eventually broadening
its influence to include the entire city of San Francisco and adopting the motto “For the Good of the City”.
17 cartons, 8 flat boxes, 3 bully boxes.
(28 Cubic Feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.