The San Diego Rowing Club was known as the Excelsior Rowing and Swimming Club when it first opened in 1888. It was formed
for the purpose of fostering amateur athletic competition and social fellowship for local men. In 1891, in anticipation of
competing on a national level, the Club changed its name to identify itself geographically. For much of its life, the San
Diego Rowing Club has been a gathering spot for many of San Diego’s most influential and active leaders, with membership of
1,200 in the 1930s. Its athletic and social programs have undergone many changes, as have its facilities. Time, two World
Wars, and a decline in interest in rowing, however, saw the once mighty club battling to save not only its famous clubhouse,
but its club as a whole. Yet, through all the high and low points, SDRC has survived and continues to introduce the sport
of rowing to new generations.