Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
National City Kimball House Ephemera
MS.019  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.99 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Kimball brothers – Frank, Warren, and Levi – were early visionary leaders of National City, the second oldest city in San Diego County which was incorporated on September 17, 1887. Originally part of the 26,000-acre El Rancho de la Nacion, the land was purchased in 1868 by the Kimball brothers who cleared lands, built roads, constructed the City's first wharf and brought the railroad to the City. Evidence of this rich past can be found in the historic buildings, including the “Brick Row” homes, and landscape throughout the City. The home (a 15-room ranch house) of Frank Kimball changed hands many times after his death and was ultimately purchased by the City. After a two-year restoration it was eventually relocated in 1975 to the Heritage Square historical district and converted into a historic museum that is operated by the National City Historical Society. The home, which was gutted on the inside by the City for the restoration project, contained many historic artifacts and ephemera. The ephemera collection in this box contains legal documents, genealogy material, photographs and slides, newspaper clippings, historic details about the house and the Kimball family, and other miscellaneous items. Provenance not indicated; however, it most likely came from the collection of Pat Schaelchlin who was on the Board of Directors with the Save Our Heritage Organisation (SOHO).
Extent
1 box, .5 li. ft.
Restrictions
San Diego Public Library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claims of the copyright holder. Permission to copy or publish any portion of San Diego Public Library's collection must be given by the San Diego Public Library.
Availability
Collection is open for research.