Record Series 406 contains the administrative files of UCLA Library department of Special Collections, including: acquisitions,
annual reports, correspondence, events, procedures, personnel, and statistics. Units within the Department of Special Collections
include: rare books, manuscripts, oral history program, and university archives.
The UCLA Department of Special Collections, originally called the Department of Manuscripts, Archives, and Rare Books, was
officially established on July 1, 1947 by Lawrence Clark Powell, UCLA University Librarian. On July 28, 1950, the Department
of Special Collections dedicated its "permanent" home located on the first and second floors, West wing, of what is now called
the Powell Library. In July 1971 the Department of Special Collections relocated from the Powell Library into the newly constructed
Young Research Library addition, Room A1713. The following persons have served as Head of the Department of Special Collections:
1947-1950 Neal Harlow (Note: also UCLA Acquisitions Librarian.)
1950-1951 Andrew H. Horn (Note: also UCLA University Archivist.)
1951-1971 Wilbur J. Smith
1973-1983 James V. Mink (Note: also UCLA University Archivist.)
1984-1996 David S. Zeidberg
1997-1999 Susan M. Allen
2000-2009 Victoria Steele
2010-2014 Tom Hyry
12.8 Linear Feet
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.