A collection poems, galley proofs, and
ephemera related to the first issue (June 1959) of "Poetry Northwest."
Poetry Northwest was founded as a quarterly, poetry-only journal in 1959 by Errol
Pritchard, with Carolyn Kizer, Richard Hugo, and Nelson Bentley as co-editors. The first
issue was 32 pages in length and included the work of Richmond Lattimore, May Swenson,
Philip Larkin, James Wright, and William Stafford. During the magazine's four decades it
gained an international reputation for publishing some of the best poetry by established and
up-and-coming poets in the United States, Great Britain, and beyond. The journal was
originally a publication of the University of Washington, with continuous publication until
2002 when it ceased publication due to financial difficulties. It resumed publication in
2006, and is currently published by Everett Community College, Everett, Washington.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.