This collection contains business records chiefly related to the finances of the
Mount Wilson Toll Road Company, which built the Mount Wilson Toll Road, a ten-mile wagon road it completed in
1891 from the foothills above Pasadena, California, up to Mount Wilson in the San Gabriel Mountains.
The records date from 1903 to 1953.
The Pasadena and Mount Wilson Toll Road Company, incorporated in 1889 by Judge
Benjamin Eaton and others, was reorganized in 1890 with the purpose of building a
ten mile wagon road from Eaton Canyon up the west flank of the San Gabriel Mountains
to Mt. Wilson, above Pasadena, California. The road was completed and put into use
in 1891, and the company gradually acquired control of the Mt. Wilson area. A
syndicate took control in 1904, and the Mt. Wilson Hotel was built. The road was
later improved for automobile traffic and continued in use until its closure in
1936. The Mount Wilson Toll Road Company then became the Mount Wilson Hotel Company.
206 items in 1 box and 10 volumes.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to
quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such
activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is
one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services
Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.